Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reflection/GamePlan

As I reflect on the information provided in this course I immediately begin to think about the very helpful and engaging discussions I was lucky to be involved for the past eight weeks. I can honestly say that the discussions form this class were more helpful to me than any other during my time here at Walden.
I had some previous experiences using a project based learning activity the information and discussions this class provided will undoubtedly help strengthen my PBL activities in the future. I really enjoyed the Digital Storytelling Lesson; I believe this type of lesson will definitely increase the learning gains for my ESE students in the future.
This course has help me realize an area that I certainly need improve in is my willingness to visit blog’s and other social networking sites in order to improve my professional development in the area of technology.
Although I am comfortable using digital tools like movie maker, voice recorder and Skype, I need to use these tools to engage my class in a project that involves students in a different school. I have begun conversation with friend of mine that teaches in a different town about trying a collaborative project next year. Since we are both coaches we have discussed trying to do a collaborative project involving math and sports.
Following my game plan throughout this course has allowed me to engage my students and effectively enhance the instruction in my classroom.. The most important tool used in my game plan was my classroom set of IPADS. Once I taught my students how to use these machines, the engagement level in my class took off. My game plan consisted of a project that incorporated two different classrooms in two different cities. I was amazed at how the use of social networking really made my students begin to think critically about given topics. Once my students became comfortable with this type of instruction we progressed to creating digital stories, which my students enjoyed as well. While creating the digital stories my students got very creative with embedding voice recorder into the stories. Although my students enjoyed creating the digital stories, we did hit a few bumps along the way. I learned that in the few future I must spend some time teaching my students how to summarize information because many of them were copying the information on their blogs right out the text. I definitely realized how the use of a game plan is very helpful in creating lesson plans, the game plan serves as a guide then you can build the lesson plans around it.

Overall I feel this course has provided me with the type of valuable information that will help me become a better classroom teacher. But more importantly my students will be given more engaging lessons in class, which will allow them more opportunities to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment