Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Week 3 Game Plan

Week 3:

In order to carry out my game plan I will need a number of items in order for the plan to engage the students and effectively enhance instruction. The most crucial resource will be a lap top for each student to use in class, an alternative to the lap tops will be a classroom set of ipods. As I begin to lay the foundation for my game plan, I will need to continue to gather information on how to set up a project that incorporates two different classrooms in two different cities. I will also need to gather information on what type of release/parent permission the student will need in order to participate. As of now I have contacted a peer teacher and discussed a number of different projects we may engage in. I have also reserved a classroom set of ipods that I will be able to keep in my classroom next year.

Jerry Brown

4 comments:

  1. Are you by chance doing a pathways grant? A couple of the teachers in my school are doing the grant (which seems like more work than this grad school program) and they received 30 ipod touches, and 15 Apple computers. I think it is a great program and hope to see it implemented in more schools as the years go on.

    -Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I am envious of the fact that your school has classroom sets of ipods that can be checked out for instructional use! I can imagine that, along with the use of laptops in your collaborative project, would be a great way to use technology to engage your students. Do you mind telling me a little about how you have used the ipods in your classroom in the past? Also, I think you are wise to go ahead and start thinking about getting the proper documentation in place so that all of your students will be able to participate in your collaborative project with your peer's classroom. Your school may already have a permission/release form you could use. If not, though, you could add that as part of your GAME plan to start creating the form and getting it approved in preparation for the upcoming school year. I think your collaborative project sounds great. Do you know yet if you'll use a blog, wiki, or some other form of technology? I know you were looking for more project ideas last week; now that you have talked to your teacher friend, what other project ideas have the two of you been able to come up with that you might implement next year? I hope your GAME plan continues to go well!

    Amanda Bryant
    8th grade reading/language arts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of working with other classes in different schools. I read through your postings from this week and last week. You were looking for ideas. Since you are both coaches and would like to make the activity around sports you could do a fitness challenge. Pair up students from the two classes and use technology to develop, share and track improvement of different fitness routines. Hopefully this helps you come up with more project ideas.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry,

    Great idea regarding use of the ipods, so many teenagers use them as a common staple of everyday life. What exactly are you going to have the students do on the ipods? Would it be possible for you to work with other classes within your building? You are very fortunate to have access to such great teaching tools.

    Lora K.
    HS English

    ReplyDelete