Thursday, May 13, 2010

Week 2...

Week 2

As I read through and reflected on the National Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers, I realized that I am good in some areas and poor in others. I feel my willingness to try new things that involve technology really does help promote effective learning among the students in my class. In my classes we use a number of different digital tools to enhance the content of the daily lessons, for example when completing vocabulary or key terms I have the kids use power point to create slide shows that uses pictures to define the given words. Recently we went a step further and used voice recorder to attach a verbal explanation to each slide the students created. I believe this type of activity definitely inspires student learning and creativity.
An area that I certainly need improve is my willingness to visit blog’s and other social networking sites in order to improve my professional development in the area of technology. Although I am comfortable using digital tools like movie maker, voice recorder and Skype, I need to use these tools to engage my class in a project that involves students in a different school. I have begun conversation with friend of mine that teaches in a different town about trying a collaborative project next year. Since we are both coaches we have discussed trying to do a collaborative project involving “March Madness” the NCAA basketball tournament, the only problem is the tournament does not start until March. So if anyone has any ideas for another project we can do in the fall please let me know.

Jerry Brown

1 comment:

  1. Jerry,
    I love your idea of the March Madness project with another class in another school-sounds great! I do agree that you would want to do a lesson involving collaboration among your students in the fall. I have not collaborated with other classrooms, necessarily, but I do have my students get on www.tweentribune.com and read interesting up-to-date articles and leave comments about the articles. They can read other students comments and respond to them. My students really enjoy doing this and I change up the requirements each time to keep it exciting. I teach language arts/reading so it is a great way to get them to read and write integrating technology and interest.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete